Updated: Mar 18, 2021
I don't know about you, but I grew up with a slight addiction for cinnamon rolls and homemade monkey bread. I was recently reminded of how good both are, so I decided to develop a recipe that achieves the best of both worlds: cinnamon roll monkey loaf. However, this recipe is gluten free, refined sugar, dairy free, and vegan. It's packed with more nutrient dense baking ingredients, such as plant based cream cheese, pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, vegan butter, and more. It's perfectly sweet, fluffy, and full of cinnamon spice. The plant based cream cheese topping is optional, but I feel it really tops it off. You don't want to miss out on this one!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
1 1/2c gluten free flour
2tbs coconut sugar
1/2 nut milk
1/4c softened vegan butter
1/2tbs baking powder
sprinkle pink salt
3/4c coconut sugar
1/2c melted vegan butter
3tbs plant based cream cheese (I use Spero Foods Cinnamon Cream Cheese)
1tbs softened vegan butter
1tbs nut milk
1tbs pure maple syrup
Gluten Free Flour: I have not tested any flour substitutuions.
Pure Maple Syrup: Substitute for raw honey if not vegan.
Vegan Butter: Substitute for grass fed ghee or butter if not vegan. (Coconut Oil also works, but may leave a coconut flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and prep a baking loaf with oil.
2. In a large bowl, add all dough ingredients. Use a kitchen aid mixer or wooden spoon and hands to mix and knead the dough.
3. Roll dough into a ball and set aside.
4. Make the filling by added all ingredients to a medium bowl to mix. Set aside.
5. Flour a clean surface and transfer the dough to that surface, then place parchment paper on top and bottom of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a rectangle shape.
6. Once flat, pour half the filling onto the flattened dough and spread to all sides and corners until even. Should be a thin layer.
8. Gently pick up one end of the dough and start to roll into a log until you reach the other side.
9. Using a thread or pizza cutter, slice the rolled dough very thin (mini cinnamon rolls).
10. Once the dough is fully sliced into rolls, slice eat roll in half. Then, start transferring to prepped loaf. Layer the cinnamon rolls next to each other until you cover the base.
11. Brush half of what's remaining of the filling on the top of that layer.
12. Then layer the remainder of the cinnamon rolls on top very tight.
13. Brush the remainder of the filling on top evenly.
14. Transfer to oven and bake for 25 minutes.
15. While it bakes, make the cream cheese frosting and set aside.
16. Remove loaf from oven and let cool for 15 minutes, then add the cream cheese frosting.
17. Slice in bread slices or cut out chunks like monkey bread. Enjoy!
Be sure to shoot me an email with your feedback or messages me on IG @wellnesswithmak, so I can see your beautiful recreations. I'd love to highlight them on my feed. Also, don't forget to follow me to stay up to date with new healthy, mouthwatering recipes, life updates, fitness routines, and all things wellness. I look forward to connecting with you!